Cyprus: Useful Information
A kaleidoscopic blend of cultures
- The currency in Cyprus is the Euro
- Credits cards are widely accepted using “chip and pin” transactions.
- Banks in Cyprus are open Mon-Fri 8.15-13.00 and closed at weekends
- The telephone number for Emergency Service in Cyprus is 199
- VAT in Cyprus is currently set at 15%
- Most mobile phone networks are available in Cyprus
- The voltage supply is 240 volts, but you will need an adapter to fit a twin point plug.
- Internet Access can be found in various cafes, outlets, hotels and some other accommodation. - Illegal drugs are widely available, particularly in popular nightlife resorts. However, being caught in possession of a very small amount carry extremely severe sentences. Strict drink driving laws also apply. Roadside breathalysers are in use and if found over the limit penalties are determined by the court.
- The national UK newspapers are available each day on the island.
- Standard satellite TV channels are available.
- The time in Cyprus is Eastern European Time (EET) and Eastern European Summer Time (EEST) which means the time difference from the UK is 2 hours from October to March and 3 hours from March to October.
- Mains water in Cyprus is perfectly safe to drink.